I love the idea of capsule wardrobes. So I thought, why not capsule nutrition? How about the essentials same shopping list (change out seasonal fruit & veggies) & change up the meals? So easy! Also, make recipes/prep short or able to be done ahead of time when you have more time or motivation. Consider once weekly grocery shopping- so foods that don’t last as long, would be used earlier in the week after grocery shopping…AWESOME. That’s the dream. So, I came up with the capsule nutrition plan’s grocery list.
Capsule Nutrition: What you need – Create your own list of the basics to have on hand for healthier nutrition. Here’s my list:
Produce for the week (Varies with season & preference):
- Green leaves – 2+ cups per day per person. Eat the flimsier green leaves earlier in the week as the heartier leaves last longer.
- Lettuces – various kinds, Romaine hearts last longer
- Kale, Spinach, Swiss chard, Collard, turnip or mustard greens
- Parsley, cilantro
- Salad packs – check the expiration date
- Avocados, lemons
- Additional veggies that looks good to you – 2 cups per day per person. Consider: cucumber, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes, etc. etc.
- Fruit – approx. 1 handful per day. Berries are extra nutritious.
Enough for 2 meals daily, some combination of (Varies with availability & mood & season):
- Fish (Fatty, wild) – 2 days of week
- Poultry (chicken, turkey, etc.)
- Meats (beef –grassfed, lamb, pork, bison, etc.)
Dairy for 1+ week (if you are including dairy in your diet):
- Cheeses – individually wrapped are easy for packing and for quick snack
- Whipping cream – organic
- Butter – organic
- Greek yogurt – plain – enough for 1 week. Individual packed are easy for portion control & for packing
- Eggs – pasture raised – 2 dozen. Older eggs are easier to peel (remember to boil with 1tsp baking soda or if steamed in an egg steamer!).
- Salad dressing (No sugars or high fructose syrup. Avoid diet dressings)
- Olive oil, coconut oil
- Mustards, vinegars, capers
- Seasonings: pick your favorites. Some of mine: Greek seasoning, garlic salt with parsley flakes, Malden sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried parsley flakes, soy sauce, thyme, ground ginger, cinnamon.
- Nut butters – like almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter. Make sure they are without additional ingredients other than salt. This usually means the oil separates and you will have to stir it when you first open the bottle.
- Various nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, peanuts, etc.)
- Old fashioned rolled oats
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Bittersweet chocolate chips
- Chia seeds
- Almond flour
- Tea – various
Frozen- keep stocked:
- Veggies (chopped onions, peppers, & greens such as spinach, green beans, peas, edamame, etc.)
- 1 bag Berries
- Ezekiel bread (if bread is part of diet)
- Low carb tortilla
Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash