We’ll keep this quick, because you have things to do. As a physician of high performers, sleep is a common discussion topic. Due to travel across time zones, irregular schedules, long days, responsibilities and/or having lots on the mind, there are times when sleep is limited and yet we need to be able to perform. Here’s a common formula: [Feeling Sleep Deprived & Tired] + [No Time for Full Night’s Sleep] + [Need to Perform at Peak Capacity] = [Unnecessary Unhealthy Stress.] This can be treated or prevented.
Here’s one tool (of many) that you may find helpful for those times: The Caffeine Nap*. (*If you have a caffeine sensitivity, are responsible for operating heavy machinery or are driving or flying, this is NOT recommended.)
1. Set alarm for 30 minutes.
2. Drink an unsweetened coffee or espresso.
3. Nap. (We will review HOW to fall asleep quickly in a future post)
4. Wake up to the alarm as your caffeine kicks in and your mind is in “Game On!” Mode.
5. Know that you’ve got this.
Let me know how you’re doing. Drop me a line.